Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Photography and Car Accidents

I suppose my photographic ventures started when I was young.  My mom had a film SLR that I would spend hours shooting with, no matter how underexposed, or out of focus my pictures were, I thought they were the greatest things the world had seen (far from the truth...but a kid can dream).  Throughout high school it seemed like the teachers were not only teaching us math, english, and sciences, but also that creativity is a very unlikely path for a career.  So, for a few years photography went on the shelf while I did the 'career building' course.  In my last two years of high school I lost faith in the by-the-book courses and started playing with cameras again.  After two years of university and hobby photography I found out about PrairieView and now here I am.  With hopes that this school will offer me a much more interesting future than a business degree at the U of M would.

I really want to learn composition, as right now I feel I am to reliant on the power of photoshop to help me crop and recompose where I may have missed my target, as well as learning the business side of photography.

Since everything is kind of a secret right now since we don't really know each other 
I could take the easy way out.  Like saying my secret is I'm turning the big 2-0 on the 23rd.  But that would be too easy.  My secret would be, I've had a near death experience.  Not to say I saw a white light or I was mortally wounded and saved by modern medicine.  No, more so that by freak chance the conditions were in my favor.  April 4th, 2008 at about 10 p.m. I rolled 
my car, right around the corner of Bishop Grandin and St. Anne's.  Pretty simple accident really, sports car taken out of winter storage too soon.  It was sleeting, I came off of St. Anne's onto Bishop as I was coming into 3rd gear the rear of my car swung around sending me towards the curb (left hand side) of the road.  What I did not realize, until I hit it. Is that beyond that curb, is a ditch.  One that sent my car up into the air to topple a couple of times to land on it's roof.  Now, here's the 'miracle', 'coincidence', whatever you want to call it.  I narrowly missed landing on a cement bike path, which would have had much more impact than the grass already did on the roof of my car.  Attending EMT's told me that had I landed about 2 feet back from where I had...I would most likely not be typing this.

However, fortunately everything went my way.  I actually walked away from that accident with nothing more than a few small cuts from crawling out of the car, and a minor concussion.  Now I'm lucky enough to be here at PrairieView so I can meet all of you fantasticly geeky photography people just like myself!

-Mitch
(if any of you morbid folk are interested, I still got pictures of the car at the MPI wrecking yard)

2 comments:

Carly Alexandra Stevenson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carly Alexandra Stevenson said...

wow Mitch that is one crazy story!!! Do you remember rolling? One of my greatest fears is getting into a serious accident like that. I'm glad you walked away and that you're okay because you definitely have "the eye" and I have this funny feeling that you're going somewhere big with it! Cant wait to see your pics throughout the year =)